My coaching process focuses on developing a three-way relationship between the leader I’m coaching, the company sponsor, and myself. This integrated approach provides an effective feedback loop and creates a supportive atmosphere for learning and development.
Although each situation is unique, coaching assignments typically follow a predictable and repeatable set of steps:
- Needs assessment via stakeholder interviews, review of existing 360s or other behavioral assessments, and/or administration of other assessment tools if appropriate
- Preparation of a Coaching Plan identifying focus areas of development and measures of success based on results of the needs assessment
- Coaching sessions conducted 1-2 times per month, either face-to-face, via video conference or by telephone.
- Duration between 3-12 months, depending on program
- Observation of leader in actual meetings or presentations, if feasible
- Video-taping for instructional feedback for Executive Presence & Executive Presentation Skills assignments
- Assignments/commitments between coaching sessions which include:
- Implementing action items identified during coaching
- Applying learnings to work situations
- Following up on recommendations for supplementary learning materials such as articles, books, CDs, DVDs, etc.
- Mid-point check-in with key stakeholders
- Formal written progress review at conclusion of program, including 2nd round of stakeholder interviews and debriefing with key sponsors